Wednesday, May 28, 2014

To Serve & Give

I am a giver. And I enjoy serving others. Don't get me wrong, I am not singing my own praises. I am also snippy when I am tired or irritated but I STILL will serve and give. It's just the way I am built …. a people pleaser. Pleasing people can wear you out! Especially when you feel there is no way to fully please someone.
Romans 12:7 says "If your gift is serving, serve them well. If you are a teacher, teach them well. "
1 Corinthians 16 says "to submit to them and others like them who serve with such devotion.
2 Corinthians 8:12 says "Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don't have."

I do give happily, but I am certainly guilty of expecting something in return. A praise, a thank you, something nice in return. For many years, I have lived by the mantra of "expect less and get more" and I need to remind myself to apply this to giving. Why do we enjoy giving gifts and doing fun things to/for children? At a young age they cannot say thank you or show their gratitude. We expect much more from adults yet giving to children is so full filling!!! The smile on their face, the pep in their step, the squeal in their voice! Why can't we give to adults without expecting a show of gratitude?

Ok, so forgive my rant, obviously I am working through something here…. but I have found reinforcement in scripture that you give and serve and treat others as you would like to be treated- NO MATTER WHAT. It is mostly never okay to treat someone as if they don't deserve to be treated well. (I say mostly because you know… some people deserve it). :-)

So today, I will remind myself of the following:
Ephesians 4:27: "for anger gives a foothold to the devil."
2 Corinthians 9:7: You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. For God loves a person who gives cheerfully".

And thats all!

1 comment:

  1. He is getting so big! I love him so much. You and Chris are great parents and It makes me happy every time I see your family through this blog. I have some exciting news to tell you also!
    Love Christine

    ReplyDelete