Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Labels

Sometimes as mom's we label ourselves.... sometimes others label us: strict, laid back, easy going, helicopter mom, non attentive mom, soccer mom, social mom.... the list goes on an on. I don't like labels, I don't think many of us do. By putting a "label" on someone I feel it boxes them into a category and doesn't allow for them to  act any way other than what we have labeled them. This is tough.
What about when your child gets labeled: hyper, mean, smart, "sensitive", a bully, hard to deal with it, not a good listener, hyper active, non social, etc....
This is REALLY tough. Most of us want our children to be flexible, easy going, roll with the punches, etc. But what happens when their not? Their difficult, demanding, bossy, non compliant? We lose our cool sometimes. Should we force them to be something their not, in that moment? I don't believe we should. I think a child should be allowed to be "more than one label". Sometimes their not in the "mood" to comply, or their hungry or their sleepy, or they are just plain out cranky. That's OKAY with me (but maybe not with others). They are little humans.... mommies and daddies. Coming to terms and giving up caring what others may think about my parenting is HARD. But I am working on it. What matters to me is the result and if I am making progress. Nothing else matters. 
Recently, Luke's school administrator mentioned he may need some speech therapy- and my first reaction was "what do you mean? I understand him just fine". Haha. Of course I do, I am with him ALL the time, I speak his language. It's really no different than knowing how to "speak" with a certain friend. I know how to "speak" with my child. But not everyone does and this is why he may need speech therapy! :-)
I digress, my point is, that when I worry and think I might be labeling my child in a negative way, he does something incredible "Luke" like and tells me that when he gets older and hair grows under his arm pits that he thinks that will be REALLY awesome. THIS is what I LOVE about being parent. To me- that screams "don't label me mom, I just had a bad day yesterday". "Don't worry about me mom, I am cool." Hopefully, you get the drift. Being a parent is the hardest job ever. I seriously think they should have a check list and a readiness guide for each person who thinks they want to be a parent! But of course as every mom will say (and should say) the rewards outweigh the challenges and that folks is no lie. Looks at this face:
Luke is simply, the cutest, sweetest, most loving, most frustrating, smartest, most friendly, most social, challenging, non listenening, stubborn, creative, motivated, funny, serious, joyful, exciting, playful, blessing from God. How's that for some LABELS.

No comments:

Post a Comment